Wednesday, September 29, 2010

29 Sep 2010 Sloan BIGBY

Lake Park birders,

See the message from
http://www.birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/WISC.html
Wis Bird Net that I am forwarding below.

--- Paul Hunter
Whitefish Bay, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
http://home.roadrunner.com/~phunter1/lakeparkbirds.html
=====================================================
Subject: Milwaukee Lakefront, 9/29 - White-crowned Sparrow (first of
season)
From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2 AT yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 17:13:20 -0700 (PDT)

I added a new Milwaukee walking BIGBY species today, bringing my
total to 144 species for 2010. It's been almost a week since BIGBY
species #143. Hopefully things will start to pick up again soon with
waterfowl migration.

A few highlights:
* Several White-crowned Sparrows in Lake Park. Various locations.
BIGBY species #144. I really like the vividly contrasting black and
white stripes on the crown. Perhaps my favorite sparrow.
* Dark-eyed Junco. One bird. In the ravine under the iron bridge in
Lake Park. It's funny... I saw a small flock of juncos almost a week
ago in Veterans Park and assumed I'd be seeing them regularly now.
Today's bird is the first junco I've seen since last Thursday.
* Two Brown Creepers working on the same tree trunk in Lake Park.
That may be the first time I've had multiple Brown Creepers in sight
at one time.
* At least a half dozen Savannah Sparrows foraging on the rocky shore
just to the north and south of Bradford Beach. Maybe the most
Savannah Sparrows I've ever had in a single outing.

...


Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee

No comments: