Sunday, September 6, 2009

Milw River, Estabrook Park 9/5/09, full moon and migration

Lake Park Birders:

While canoeing the Milwaukee River from Kletzsch Park to Riverside
Park on Saturday, September 9th, my family and I saw a couple hundred
mallards, mainly males in their drab, late summer plumage. We also
saw a green heron, several great blue herons, a few spotted
sandpipers, a couple dozen ring-billed and herring gulls. and three
or four kingfishers. There were no cliff swallows at the Hampton
Avenue bridge, but there were a couple dozen nests stuck up under the
southern edge of the bridge. The water was low, so we spent a lot of
time hung up on rocks and mudbars.

Below see Chuck Hagner's report from Estabrook Park and Brian Hansen
full moon observation that I am forwarding from Wis Bird Net.

--- Paul Hunter
http://home.roadrunner.com/~phunter1/lakeparkbirds.html
=====================================================

Sent: Saturday, September 05, 2009 11:12 PM
To: Chuck Hagner
Subject: eBird Report - Estabrook Park , 9/5/09

Location: Estabrook Park
Observation date: 9/5/09
Notes: 53°F rising to 75°F, clear and calm. Wood Duck and Eastern
Bluebirds were juveniles. Rose-breasted Grosbeak was first-fall male.
Badgerland Striders Half-Marathon was being run in the park while I
was birding.
Number of species: 34

Canada Goose 1
Wood Duck 1
Mallard 19
Great Blue Heron 1
Cooper's Hawk 1
Ring-billed Gull 2
Herring Gull 1
Rock Pigeon 5
Mourning Dove 2
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 6
Empidonax sp. 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Red-eyed Vireo 5
Blue Jay 7
American Crow 3
Black-capped Chickadee 20
White-breasted Nuthatch 4
House Wren 3
Eastern Bluebird 4
Swainson's Thrush 8
American Robin 14
Gray Catbird 7
Cedar Waxwing 9
Black-and-white Warbler 1
American Redstart 5
Louisiana Waterthrush 2
Song Sparrow 3
Northern Cardinal 7
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1
American Goldfinch 35
House Sparrow 7

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org/wi)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 23:30:31 -0500
Subject: [wisb] Saturday night full moon and migration
From: Brian Hansen <rawshooter@gmail.com>

I have to confess that when I first got into birding 3 years ago and
started reading the posts here I was a bit skeptical about some of the
things birders did to view birds. Things like watching the radar,
pishing,
looking at the full moon with binocs etc... Well let me exclaim I am a
believer. May 8th 2007 I looked at the radar (and saved it on my
computer)
at around 1AM. It was a solid mass of huge dark green circles up to 100
miles in diameter around every radar site north of the Kentucky/Indiana
border. The next morning I was out at sunrise and had one of my best
days
ever. I photographed and IDed - with the help of wisbird members - 19
species of warblers that day. Then I ran into John Idzikowski
(spelling?
sorry) one day this spring in lake park and watched him pish in about 50
birds of various species including many warblers, gnatcatchers,
chickadees,
an eastern phoebe etc... to within about 10 feet of us. So close in
fact I
couldn't focus my camera on them. Now tonight I was sitting outside and
heard songbirds flying high overhead. I grabbed my binocs and and just
watched the full moon for about 15 minutes and after a while started
noticing quick dark blips going by. Well let me just say I am
officially a
believer and from this point on will believe pretty much anything I
read on
here :) - except what Freriks says :) :) I just wish it wouldn't have
taken me 40 years to find all this out.
Should be great tomorrow. The radar shows heavy movement in and around
Green Bay and Minneapolis as well as the UP.
http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full.php This is a big download for
those of
you with slower connections.

Brian Hansen
Milwaukee - east side

No comments: